‘A Star is Born’ leads AACTA International nominees
‘A Star is Born’ (Photo: Neil Preston).
Bradley Cooper’s A Star is Born leads the nominees for the 8th AACTA International Awards, with nods in five categories including Best Film.
A total of 17 films are up for the awards, to be held in Los Angeles in January at a ceremony at the The Mondrian Hotel.
Competing alongside A Star is Born for the main award are Vice, Blackkklansman, Bohemian Rhapsody and Roma.
Among the Aussies to be nominated is Nicole Kidman, who is the first actor to be nominated for Best Lead and Best Supporting Actor or Actress in the same year, for Destroyer and Boy Erased respectively. Kidman won the Best Supporting Actress for Boy Erased at the domestic AACTA Awards last week, her second consecutive win in the category following Lion. Her nod for Destroyer follows her nomination at the Golden Globes last week.
Warwick Thornton, who won Best Direction for Sweet Country at the domestic awards last week is also nominated in the same category at the international instalment.
Other Aussie up for awards are Joel Edgerton, nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Boy Erased, which he also wrote, produced and directed; Hugh Jackman, Best Lead Actor for The Front Runner; Toni Collette, Best Lead Actress for Hereditary; Margot Robbie, Best Supporting Actress for Mary Queen of Scots; and Tony McNamara, Best Screenplay for The Favourite (nominated alongside Deborah Davis). McNamara and Davis is also nominated in the same category at the Golden Globes.
“The AACTA International Awards give Australian filmmakers the opportunity to participate in and add their uniquely Australian perspective to the global conversation of screen excellence,” said AFI | AACTA CEO Damian Trewhella.
“This year’s nominees truly represent international filmmaking excellence, and we are very proud to see many of our talented Australian practitioners and performers among these nominees. I congratulate all our nominees and wish them every success during the upcoming awards season.”
The AACTA International Awards will be held January 4, 2019.
The full list of nominees:
AACTA International Award for Best Film
- A STAR IS BORN
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
AACTA International Award for Best Direction
- A STAR IS BORN – Bradley Cooper
- BLACKKKLANSMAN – Spike Lee
- THE FAVOURITE – Yorgos Lanthimos
- ROMA – Alfonso Cuarón
- SWEET COUNTRY – Warwick Thornton
AACTA International Award for Best Screenplay
- A QUIET PLACE – John Krasinski, Scott Beck, Bryan Woods
- BLACKKKLANSMAN – Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY – Anthony McCarten
- THE FAVOURITE – Tony McNamara, Deborah Davis
- ROMA – Alfonso Cuarón
AACTA International Award for Best Lead Actress
- Glenn Close – THE WIFE
- Olivia Colman – THE FAVOURITE
- Toni Collette – HEREDITARY
- Lady Gaga – A STAR IS BORN
- Nicole Kidman – DESTROYER
AACTA International Award for Best Lead Actor
- Christian Bale – VICE
- Bradley Cooper – A STAR IS BORN
- Hugh Jackman – THE FRONT RUNNER
- Rami Malek – BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
- Viggo Mortensen – GREEN BOOK
AACTA International Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Amy Adams – VICE
- Emily Blunt – A QUIET PLACE
- Claire Foy – FIRST MAN
- Nicole Kidman – BOY ERASED
- Margot Robbie – MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
AACTA International Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Mahershala Ali – GREEN BOOK
- Timothée Chalamet – BEAUTIFUL BOY
- Joel Edgerton – BOY ERASED
- Sam Elliott – A STAR IS BORN
- Sam Rockwell – VICE