AACTA Awards unveil non-feature nominations
The Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts has announced the non-feature film nominees for this year's Samsung AACTA Awards.
The inaugural awards, which evolved from the former Australian Film Institute (AFI) Awards after a period of industry consultation, will be held in January 2012.
AFI/AACTA chief executive Damian Trewhella said the calibre of this year’s entrants was exceptional.
“Each year it is a pleasure to see the quality and diversity of all of our nominees, but it is especially gratifying to be able to shine a light onto the huge talent in the sometimes less well-recognised, non-feature categories, especially in our inaugural year of the Samsung AACTA Awards,” he said in a statement.
The nominees for the AACTA Award for Best Feature Length Documentary are:
- Life In Movement (Sophie Hyde, Bryan Mason)
- Mrs Carey’s Concert (Bob Connolly, Helen Panckhurst, Sophie Raymond)
- Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure (Sophie Hyde, Matthew Bate)
- The Tall Man (Darren Dale)
Life in Movement is a beautiful, heartbreaking insight into the charismatic Tanja Liedtke, who died in a tragic accident just before she was to lead the Sydney Dance Company.
Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure explores one of the world’s first ‘viral’ pop-culture sensations.
Mrs Carey’s Concert follows the journey of Karen Carey, music director at a Sydney girls’ school, as she prepares her students for the ultimate classical music concert at the Sydney Opera House. The film has been grossed more than $1 million at the local box office, making it one of the most successful local documentaries of all time.
The Tall Man examines the story behind the untimely death of Cameron Doomadgee, who was found dead in a Palm Island police station.
Nominees for the AACTA Award for Best Short Animation are:
- Forget Me Not (Emily Dean)
- The Missing Key (Garth Nix, Anna McFarlane, Jonathan Nix)
- The Moment (Justin Wight, Kristian Moliere, Troy Bellchambers, Shane McNeil)
- Nullarbor (Alister Lockhart, Patrick Sarell, Katrina Mathers, Merrin Jensen, Daryl Munton)
Nominees for the AACTA Award for Best Short Fiction Film are:
- Adam’s Tallit (Justin Olstein, Marie Maroun)
- Cropped (Bettina Hamilton, Dave Wade)
- The Palace (Kate Croser, Anthony Maras, Andros Achilleos)
- The Telegram Man (James F. Khehtie, Victoria Wharfe McIntyre)
The public and AACTA/AFI members can view the nominated feature and non-feature films at the Samsung AFI/AACTA Festival of Film in Sydney and Melbourne from October 6 until November 14. A list of non-feature film production notes can be found on the Awards section of the AACTA website.
The 23 feature films in competition have previously been announced here.