AFTRS announces new courses
[Release by The Lantern Group]
The Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS), Australia’s national screen arts and broadcast School, will launch exciting new courses for 2009 on Friday 22 August.
Following the school’s move to its new state-of-the art building located within The Entertainment Quarter at Moore Park, AFTRS has created brand new courses to commence in 2009. The demands on today’s screen arts practitioners and broadcasters are fundamentally different form those of a decade ago with technology transforming the way content is made and distributed. Reflecting these changes AFTRS is offering courses to target young and emerging filmmakers fresh out of school and embarking on their careers while still maintaining the acclaimed specialist courses for advanced industry practitioners.
AFTRS is looking forward to preparing creative and passionate individuals at all levels for their future careers in an exciting and dynamic sector.
“These new courses have been designed to address the industry’s need for the next generation of trained and skilled creative people. I am confident that with these courses we will see these results in our future graduates”, said CEO Sandra Levy.
The new courses include:
• The Full time Foundation Diploma (Full time for one year) targets students straight out of school with a demonstrated aptitude in screen culture – a highly collaborative, practical, workshop based program of study that will provide a good introduction to those seeking to make a start in the screen arts industry.
• The Graduate Diploma – Screenwriting (Part time for one year) is offered through the brand new AFTRS Centre for Screen Writing developed with the support of the Australian Writers Guild. This exciting new and highly specialised course will encourage exploration and investigation of a range of writing genres in a part time course allowing writers to combine working while studying.
• The Graduate Diploma (Part time over two years) in producing/business co- delivered by AFTRS Centre for Screen Business and Producing Department. This new and highly specialised course designed for media screen professionals investigates the principles of professional practice in the screen and broadcast sectors.
AFTRS will continue in 2009 to offer its successful part time study options nationally through its Graduate Certificates that include 3D Animation; Screen Costume Design; Screen Drama Directing & Screenwriting; Producing Screen Business, Commercial Radio Broadcasting and Screen Music as well as its hugely successful Short Courses that span all of the specialist areas taught at the School.
So there are plenty of opportunities in 2009 for industry professionals and emerging storytellers to develop and advance their skills.
Specific course information can be found at www.makeit.aftrs.edu.au from Friday August 22.
Opportunities to find out more details about AFTRS new courses and what’s on offer in 2009 include two Open Days being held on September 20 (11am – 3pm) and again on October 18 (11am – 3pm) in Sydney.
Course information sessions will be held on the following dates:
• September 11 Canberra
• September 17 at AFTRS Sydney
• September 23 in Melbourne
October 1 Adelaide
• October 2 Perth
• October 8 Brisbane
• October 15 at AFTRS Sydney
More details about times and places can be found at www.aftrs.edu.au
AFTRS is also providing regular guided tours at 10 :00 Am and 2:00pm every Wednesday. Go to the website to register: www.aftrs.edu.au