Directorâ€™s attachment on Matchbox Pictures’ Secret City
The Australian Directors Guild, Matchbox Pictures and Screen Australia are calling for applications for the ADG director's attachment on Secret City.
Emma Freeman will direct the drama commissioned by Foxtel, which follows senior political journalist Harriet Dunkley as she uncovers a secret city of interlocked conspiracies, putting innocent lives in danger – including her own.
The Director’s Attachment Scheme is an industry incentive for emerging feature film and television drama directors to develop their craft. Funded by Screen Australia and managed by the ADG, the television attachments will provide six director’s attachments in 2015. Participating companies for 2015 include Playmaker Media, Fremantle Media, Screentime, and Matchbox Pictures.
ADG CEO Kingston Anderson said, “This is a unique opportunity to work on a brand new series with one of our leading TV directors.”
Screen Australia's Sally Caplan said, “We're delighted to support a scheme that puts emerging talent in the professional hot seat, and commend all the partners involved for their vision and generosity”.
Producer Joanna Werner said, “Secret City is a really challenging and exciting project which will provide the successful applicant with an incredible opportunity to work alongside one of the best directors in the country.”
Applications may be submitted to the ADG from interested directors who have:
• two short fiction drama films publicly screened OR
• one short fiction drama film which has screened at an accredited film festival (Sundance, Berlin, Venice, Cannes, Clermont-Ferrand, Busan, Rotterdam, SXSW or Telluride) OR
• been a First Assistant Director on a TV drama series or a feature film.
The applicant will be asked to submit the following to the ADG:
• a resume
• a written reference from an established screen industry practitioner
• up to 100 words on why they want to do the attachment outlining the career benefits
• Links OR DVD copies of past work
• If an assistant director applies references from at least two productions they have worked on as a first assistant director.
The successful applicant will be supported with funds from Screen Australia and Matchbox Pictures to work full-time while they are attached to the production and will be required to direct either a scene from the episode they are working on or second unit of the episode they are attached to. This will be decided in conjunction with the supervising director and producer.
The production will shoot in NSW and the ACT. Due to the length of the shoot the attachment will be involved in three weeks pre, four weeks of the shoot and then the post- production as determined by the producer, director and attachment.
• Pre-production from August 3
• Shoot from August 24 to September 18
• Post begins on October 19
The deadline for applications is Monday July 27.
Please forward all applications to:
Director’s Attachment Scheme
Australian Directors Guild
PO Box 211, Rozelle NSW 2039