Director’s Guild responds to AWG allegations
11 April, 2008 by IF
By Simon de Bruyn
Australian Directors’ Guild president Ray Argal has responded to the damaging allegations made by Australian Writer’s Guild executive director Jacqueline Woodman about the ADG earlier this week.
On Wednesday, Woodman announced to members that the Writer’s Guild was resigning from industry lobby group, the Australian Screen Council, as she had become concerned with the ADG’s prior management of the council’s finances.
“When we expressed our concern about financial mismanagement in writing to the ADG, the response was extremely concerning. The Board felt it had no option but to remove the Writers Guild from sitting at the table with them,” she said.
In an email to members yesterday, Argal said he was disappointed by the news and denied that the ADG acted irresponsibly in its former role as the ASC’s public officer.
“ADG denies that it has acted irresponsibly, and has for some years worked hard with the other member organisations; SPAA, MEAA and AWG to find common ground and present a united front on the major issues facing the industry,” he said.
“ADG regrets the comments reported to have been made by AWG. If the media reports are accurate, the comments are hurtful and untrue. However, ADG has no interest in adding fuel to the flames or in compounding the damage by engaging in any kind of tit for tat public debate with AWG.
“The policy work and research performed over several years has seen the ASC present a single voice to govt on several important issues, most recently the establishment of Screen Australia and the Producer Offset.”
Argal added that the ADG was “puzzled” as to why the Writer’s Guild decided to resign “in such a public and highly damaging manner”.