Film Vic invests $330K in innovative games
Press release from Film Victoria
Victoria’s innovative games sector will receive a boost of more than $330,000 in the first round of the Victorian Government’s Games Investment program.
Innovation, Services and Small Business Minister Louise Asher said the local games development community was at the forefront of the global industry.
“Victoria’s games companies are competing on the world stage, and our government will continue to play a leading role in supporting and driving Victoria’s growing digital media sector,” she said.
“By investing in five commercially appealing projects, we are assisting games developers to create content that attracts overseas interest, generates further investment opportunities and stimulates the global market.”
Designed to support the local games sector, Film Victoria’s Games Investment program enables developers to create games for distribution on any platform, including for consoles, Facebook, iPhone and iPad.
“Developers can also access the program to help them create a prototype game to show potential distributors or publishers, which will help them to access higher levels of investment,” said Ms Asher.
“The Victorian Government has committed more funding towards digital content than any other state or federal funding agency in Australia. Victorian companies have continued to release worldwide hits, including Flight Control, The Sims 3 for iPhone and Train Conductor.”
Film Victoria CEO Sandra Sdraulig said she was thrilled with the response to the Games Investment program.
“Victoria’s local games community is world renowned for its innovation and capability, and our first round of Games Investment demonstrates this emphatically. The quality and diversity of these projects are a testament to the talent of our digital media practitioners and companies.”
The funded projects are:
• Rugby Union, Wicked Witch Software: This official football game for iPhone will feature all official clubs and players with 3D graphics for arcade game play and a range of fun activities and mini-games.
• Urban Wolf, Brawsome: A puzzle adventure game is for PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad, where players help a magician escape unique puzzling rooms using the power of a mysterious amulet.
• Puzzle Treasure, Play-Bit Entertainment: A free-to-play social game for Facebook that challenges players and their friends to solve, create and share 2D Dissection Puzzles.
• Table Top Cricket, Big Ant Studios: – This PlayStation Network and Xbox Live game takes a fun and addictive approach to table top cricket while pushing the online aspects of the consoles and bringing players together in a world cup.
• Mykola on the roof, Ivan Dickson/Greg Sharp – This independent game for iPad, iPhone and web features Mykola, a chimney sweep, who survives in a post-industrial world gone berserk by making friends and taming beasts.
For more information about Film Victoria’s programs and guidelines, visit www.film.vic.gov.au and follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/filmvictoria.