Flying start for BBC First
New premium drama channel BBC First got off to a great start with overnight figures* for launch day, Sunday 3 August, showing:
• In terms of overall share, BBC First ranked number 1 on the drama and lifestyle tier on Foxtel and was the number 5 non-sports channel with all people across STV.
• BBC First had the three highest-rating dramas across the STV platform, all in the top 24 shows.
• The Musketeers Episode 2 was the top rating drama of the day on STV.
• Based on its time slot, Peaky Blinders was the top rating drama and third highest rating show overall on STV.
• The channel achieved an overall reach of 350,000 with viewers spending an average of 63 minutes on the channel.
Natalie Edgar, Director of Television, BBC Worldwide Australia and New Zealand, said: “We are delighted with these figures for BBC First which show the channel has got off to a strong start with audiences. However, we’re not measuring the success of this channel solely on ratings. While they are important, this channel is also about the impact that the channel has with audiences in terms of the strength of their engagement with the programming and recognition of the BBC brand.
“Foxtel viewers are used to watching programmes at a time that suits them and this is particularly true of premium drama so encores, timeshifts and catch-up figures will be important in determining overall viewing of individual shows.”
*Source: OzTAM National STV Panel, Overnights, 9.30am-2am, 3 Aug 2014