JVC announces development of LSI chip
Press release from JVC
JVC has announced its development of the world’s first LSI chip for high-speed processing of Full High-Definition video and stills on one chip for HD camcorders.
The LSI enables shooting and recording Full HD, including both 2D and 3D images, and also ultra-high-resolution 4K2K (i.e. QUAD HD) images of approximately four times the resolution of Full HD.
High-speed photography with high-speed processing also is possible.
The LSI achieves low power consumption and enables lower system costs by incorporating all image-processing technologies for HD shooting, including camera-signal processing and video/still image codecs.
Consumers are increasingly demanding HD-level TVs, camcorders and other consumer electronics products, requiring manufacturers to offer products capable of rapidly processing extra-high-resolution images of the latest standards, including 4K2K.
JVC’s LSI will advance this trend by introducing next-generation image-processing technologies for both professional and consumer camcorders.
JVC will exhibit a new consumer camcorder with the LSI at the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which will take place in Las Vegas, Nevada from January 6 to 9.
* High-speed processing of camera signals and video/still image codecs, including Full HD 2D/3D, 4K2K and high-speed photographs. In addition to 2.7 times faster processing than previous CPU, the new CPU supports various signal-processing technologies (see below) that have been fully revised for superior high-resolution image recording;
* Signal processing
* Camera-signal processing is 1.7 times faster than JVC’s previous technology, enabling 8.3-megapixel video at 60 frames per second;
* H.264 video processing is double JVC’s previous technology, enabling compression of 2.07-megapixel images at 60 frames per second;
* JPEG still-image processing is 5.5 times faster than JVC’s previous technology, enabling compression at up to 8.3-megapixel images at 60 frames per second;
* In addition to its image-signal processor, advanced image codecs and other image-processing technologies assembled into one chip, the LSI incorporates leading-edge 40nm process technology for high functionality, 40% reduction of power consumption and 50% reduction of system costs compared to previous LSIs. The result is a high-level LSI suited to a wide range of both consumer and professional products;
* All hardware and software is integrated into one platform, enabling products that incorporate this platform to be commercialized highly rapidly.
1. The LSI achieves real-time 3D compression of separate Full HD images (1920 x 1080/60p) from right and left cameras using MPEG-4 MVC. The amount of data is double the conventional side-by-side 3D recording format, enabling high-resolution Full HD 3D images with one chip.
2. 4K2K images (3840 x 2160/60p) using an ultra-resolution camera system are supported.
3. High-speed camera-processing circuitry and a high-speed JPEG engine enable the simultaneous capture of Full HD video and 8.3 megapixel stills at 60 frames per second.
4. High-speed frame video capture for 3D recording at 300 frames per second based on high-speed video codec.