Orchids: My Intersex Adventure trailer
Orchids: My Intersex Adventure examines with warmth, humour and honesty the shame and secrecy surrounding intersex (also known as a 'hermaphrodite' or a Difference of Sexual Development (DSD)).
The filmmaker behind the documentary, Phoebe Hart, has Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS), a congenital intersex condition that can either occur spontaneously at conception or be passed down the generations. People with AIS have a typical genetic male pattern but develop atypical reproductive organs as a result of their bodies being insensitive to male hormones.
Hart is raising money to travel and screen the film at LGBT film festivals. Tax-deductible donations can be made via the Australia Arts Business Foundation (AbaF) website. Donations can be made here.
Orchids: My Intersex Adventure will be available as of September 7, 2011 on DVD.
• Frameline35, the San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival (June 16-26, 2011) on Saturday June 25 1:30pm at The Roxie, San Francisco – USA
• Tropical Alternatives Queer Film Festival (over May & June, 2011) 1:30pm Saturday 25 June 2011 at Shop 25 Bell Street TOOWOOMBA – AUSTRALIA
• Outfest (July 7-17, 2011) 5pm Tuesday 12 July 2011 at the Sunset Theatre, Los Angeles – USA
• Newfest (July 21-28, 2011) time and date TBA, New York City – USA
• Vancouver Queer Film Festival (11-21 August, 2011) time and date TBA, Vancouver – CANADA
• Raindance Film Festival (28 September-9 October, 2011) time and date TBA, London – UK