From 1st October the SBS ON DEMAND movies catalogue will expand to offer over 400 titles that are free for all Australians to enjoy whenever they want, wherever they are and on a device of their choosing.
Movies will be available for 12 months with around 10-20 new titles available every month, making this Australia’s largest collection of free and legal on demand movies.
Marshall Heald, SBS Chief Digital Officer, said: “SBS is Australia’s home of independent and international movies and we are excited to expand our offering to anyone who loves movies thanks to SBS ON DEMAND. Everyone loves free content and we want all Australians to be able to access all these movies, free and legally on a multitude of devices at a time of their choosing.”
The launch comes off the back of the huge success of the Online Film Festival of 100 Clicks in March 2014 in which 108 movie titles were released free online for 31 days. This attracted 824,000 video stream views – a 186 per cent increase in the monthly average views for SBS Movies over the previous 12 months.
Movies will be available across a number of genres including thriller, horror, comedy, classics and action with around half the titles in English and the rest in a range of languages.
• The Skin I Live In staring Antonio Bandaras as a plastic surgeon with a pet project on the side. Directed by Pedro Almodovar.
• Transamerica Starting Felicity Huffman as a pre-operative male-to-female transsexual who takes an unexpected journey when she learns that she fathered a son, now a teenage runaway hustling on the streets of New York.
• The Science of Sleep A man entranced by his dreams and imagination is love-struck with a French woman and feels he can show her his world. Stars Gael García Bernal.
• Gomorrah The greatest mafia movie ever made. An incredible film about organised crime at a grass roots level and modern crime families. Set in a crumbling Naples ghetto, crime and exploitation is inescapable.
• The Woodsman A child molester returns to his hometown after 12 years in prison and attempts to start a new life. Stars Kevin Bacon.
• Paradise Now Shortlisted for Oscars amidst much controversy, Paradise Now is a film about two brothers preparing for a suicide attack.
• Fish Tank starring Michael Fassbender –BAFTA winning 2009 British drama film written and directed by Andrea Arnold, Everything changes for 15 yr old Mia (Katie Jarvis) when her mum brings home a new boyfriend.
There will also be curated movie collections for people who want a one-stop-shop for their favourite genres including Get A Room with Sexy/Risqué titles, Famous Faces featuring A-list talent, Festival Favourites: Movies with pedigree/ recognition, Feel Good Flicks easy to watch and light entertainment, Fright Night Scary/Horror/Thriller and SBS Loves a cross-section of the best movies available as recommended by the experts at the SBS movies team.
SBS ON DEMAND is available on more platforms than any other broadcaster in Australia including online, iPhone, iPad, Android, Smart TVs, HBBTVs Xbox and Playstation.
SBS ON DEMAND continues to enjoy record growth. In the year to date 2014 (Jan-Aug), sbs.com.au and SBS ON DEMAND have served an average of 7.8 million video stream views per month up 93 per cent on the same period in 2013. In August 2014, more than half of all video stream views were served to mobile devices and emerging platforms, including tablets (31%), smartphones (8%), smart TVs (16%) and gaming consoles (3%). Desktop/Laptop computers accounted for 42%.*