The Avengers wins AIMC box office awards, A Few Best Men wins marketing award
The annual box office awards have been handed out at the Australian International Movie Convention on the Gold Coast with The Avengers predictably taking several awards while Icon's campaign for A Few Best Men was recognised as the best marketing campaign.
The winners were:
- Highest Grossing Foreign Language Film: The Women on the 6th Floor with $2.02 million (Palace Films)
- Highest Grossing Australian Film: Red Dog with $21.46 million (Roadshow)
- Highest Grossing Film in New Zealand: The Avengers with more than $NZ8 million (Disney)
- Rentrak Highest Grossing New Zealand Film: Sione's 2: Unfinished Business
- RealD 3D Award for Highest Grossing 3D Film: The Avengers with $53.25 million (Disney)
- Coca-Cola Gold Award for Highest Grossing Film in Australia: The Avengers with $53.25 million (Disney)
The winner of the News Limited Movie Marketer of the Year award was Icon Films for local film A Few Best Men. Icon Films marketing director, Lisa Garner, accepted a novelty cheque for $250,000. News Ltd will match Icon's marketing spend across News Ltd publications on an upcoming future film release.
A Few Best Men posted a strong opening weekend of $1.94 million when it was released earlier this year but dropped quickly.
Last year the total Australian box office declined by 3.08 per cent to still record an impressive $1.09 billion in total amid an economy largely struggling outside of the regions riding the mining boom. However, over the year to date, the local box office is up slightly on 2011.