Audience award for Wide Open Sky
Lisa Nichol’s Wide Open Sky has won the Foxtel Movies Audience award for best documentary feature at the Sydney Film Festival.
The doc chronicles the journey of an outback Australian children’s choir from auditions to their end-of-year concert and choir founder Michelle Leonard’s mission to bring a desolate musical landscape back to life.
Nicol has previously directed A Night at Sea with Louis Tillet, Pray Ho'tell and Outback Choir.
Voted as the best narrative feature was Alfonso Gomez-Rejon's Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, the saga of a self-deprecating high school student who is forced to befriend a classmate who's been diagnosed with leukaemia.
Foxtel Movies Audience Award for Best Documentary top 5:
1. Wide Open Sky, directed by Lisa Nicol
2. Gayby Baby, directed by Maya Newell
3. The Lost Aviator, directed by Andrew Lancaster
4. The Bolivian Case, directed by Violeta Ayala
5. Sherpa, directed by Jennifer Peedom
Foxtel Movies Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature top 5:
1. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
2. Last Cab to Darwin, directed by Jeremy Sims
3. Deathgasm, directed by Jason Lei Howden
4. Corn Island, directed by George Ovashvili
5. Song of the Sea, directed by Tomm Moore