Sony launches HXR-NX100 handheld NXCAM pro camcorder
Sony has announced the new HXR-NX100, the latest cost efficient addition to its high quality NXCAM range of professional camcorders.
The HXR-NX100 combines excellent picture quality, easy operability and a wide selection of recording formats into a device that supports multiple choices for a range of professional applications, from events to documentaries.
The HXR-NX100 features a 1.0” type Exmor® R back-illuminated CMOS Sensor with 20 megapixels. This sensor, which is approximately the same size as a Super 16mm film frame, delivers high resolution, low noise and great picture quality even in low light conditions, as well as offering greater depth of field control as demanded for today’s diverse shooting requirements. The picture quality is further ensured by a non-removable Sony G lens, offering 12x optical zoom from 29mm at the wide end. This range can be effectively increased to 24x with the Clear Image Zoom feature, while retaining full resolution thanks to Sony’s By Pixel Super Resolution Technology. Furthermore, zoom performance can be doubled at any point with a Digital Extender by up to 48x. These features, combined with built-in 4-step ND filter, mean the HXR-NX100 is well prepared to capture quality content in any environment.
The HXR-NX100 is ergonomically designed to have a lightweight and easy-to-use form factor that ensures quality, reliability and peace of mind during any type of shoot. Three independent manual lens rings give simple access to zoom, focus and iris control. The camcorder also provides a wide variety of connectivity options including HDMI, Multi/Micro USB, XLR audio inputs, REMOTE, Composite (BNC) and Multi Interface (MI) Shoe. The latter allows for a wide range of accessories such as the HVL-LBPC Video Light and the UWP-D wireless microphone series, without the need for cable connections.
Further extending the recording flexibility of the Sony NXCAM range, the HXR-NX100 is able to record in a choice of AVCHD, DV and XAVC S 50Mbps formats, providing versatility and high quality images. Operational flexibility is maximised by recording onto affordable and readily available consumer memory cards. The HXR-NX100 features dual media slots, which enables recording onto two memory cards either simultaneously or via a relay mode, where recording automatically switches when the first card is full.
“The HXR-NX100 brings the very best in resolution, depth of field control and low light performance thanks to its big 1.0” type Exmor R CMOS sensor, allowing content creators to capture beautiful images in any environment,” said Nick Buchner, Senior Product Manager for Content Creation at Sony ANZ. “Its ergonomic design ensures comfortable handling and the ability to record in XAVC S 50Mbps means the camcorder delivers quality content across a range of shooting situations, such as events and corporate videos. With the HXR-NX100, professionals have a versatile camcorder that lets them concentrate on doing what they love, with minimum hassle.”
Key features of the HXR-NX100
• 1.0” type Exmor® R CMOS Sensor and Sony G lens for stunning picture quality. High sensitivity and fantastic resolution with 20 megapixel sensor and sophisticated Sony G lens deliver striking detail, colours and wide dynamic range, even in low light conditions (minimum illumination 1.7 Lux*)
*PAL model: 1/25 second shutter speed, Iris and gain Auto
• Maximum 48x zoom for more shooting options. The lens offers a 12x optical zoom from 29mm angle of view at wide end, which can be increased to 24x with Clear Image Zoom while retaining full resolution thanks to By Pixel Super Resolution Technology. Zoom performance can be doubled at any point with a Digital Extender up to 48x.
• Three independent manual lens rings, built-in 4-step ND filter and other professional functions. Manual lens rings ensure intuitive control of zoom, focus and iris and the built-in 4-step ND filter helps to control exposure in bright scenes. Other professional features include 0.24” type 1,550K dot EVF and 3.5” type 1,550K dot LCD for easy monitoring, and a wide variety of professional interfaces including HDMI, Multi/Micro USB, XLR audio inputs, REMOTE, Composite (BNC) and Multi Interface (MI) Shoe, delivering a seamless integration for video light and wireless audio.
• Breadth of recording format capabilities. The camcorder provides multiple choices including AVCHD and DV which are suitable for conventional workflows, and the newly implemented XAVC S 50Mbps codec, which delivers better image quality particularly for professional needs.
• Dual media slots for recording flexibility. Two memory card slots enable various recording options such as backup, simultaneous, relay and independent recording. The camcorder is compatible with SDXC and SDHC cards as well as Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2) and Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo. “SIMUL” mode permits simultaneous recording to two memory cards, while “RELAY” mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full. The user can also use buttons on the camcorder to independently start and stop recording on different memory cards.
The HXR-NX100 will available from October 2015.